6/08/2009

Our Heartbreaking Choices

This book sounds like such a great opportunity to bring the real stories of real women who have experienced late-term abortion.... God bless them! I've also just finished reading this post by Amanda Marcotte on the RH Reality Check webiste. When I read this excerpt I related so much...

When your opposition is relentless and has no moral qualms about harassment and deceit, it’s exhausting to keep pushing.

I mean, it just becomes tiresome dealing with all the fringe fanatics when trying to reach the majority of people who really aren't certain how they fell about abortion. In light of the events surrounding the murder of Dr. Tiller, I must admit to feeling a certain amount of guilt for not sustaining my passion and fervor in defending our basic reproductive rights. Amanda goes on to say that if we stop or draw back because of these extremists, they've basically won. She phrases this so perfectly, in a way that rational people will understand:

We were wrong to be afraid. We have the moral high ground on late term abortion, and that should be obvious now. No one wants to see their wives, daughters, friends, or colleagues suffer the trauma of fatal birth defects or health hazards that kill or maim them. Few of us are sadistic enough to be party to laws that would force 10-year-olds to give birth to the babies of rapists.

I'll do my best not to allow those who wish to distort facts, manipulate emotion and minimize the experiences of these brave women & their families... we can never allow them to take women out of this discussion, no matter how mightily they may try.

4 comments:

Christie said...

Thanks for the plug for my book. :)

Charlotte said...

I must say I love your blog MellanKelly, you always make arguments in such a crisp amusing way.

I found something I though you might like to read.
A website was set up after Dr Tillers death, which hosts stories from abortion provers, I found this one particularly moving:

http://iamdrtiller.com/2009/06/dr-tiller-practices-in-fayetteville-ar/

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts :)

MellanKelly said...

Charlotte,
Thanks so much for posting the link. I've visited this site on and off since Dr. Tillers death and I had not read this story yet. Beautiful. It does make me feel better to know that there are men and women willing to take on this dangerous role of helping these women... they're all hero's in my book.

Anonymous said...

Great article!

My blog is also on repoductive and sexual health.