4/20/2008

Fuck women... we (heart) zygotes! Part I

Okay, so I'm going to lament on the whole idea of "fetal personhood" as it were. Bear in mind that my sorrow and grief on the subject is not limited to the fetus... oh, no... it is large enough to encompass the blastocyst, the zygote and the embryo as well as the fetus. Although (may I digress?) it is beyond me how one could argue that even though a pregnancy has not yet been established (at fertilization) there is still a "person" bouncing around my fallopian tubes. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, the American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, and almost all professional medical groups define pregnancy as beginning when the zygote has finished implanting (a pregnancy test is positive when the hormone HCG is present... after implantation) - but never mind all that when you're arguing that the rights of a woman are secondary to the rights of the conceptus, right? So... what these rather ironically self-proclaimed "pro-lifers" are saying is that a pregnant woman is less of a "person" than a thousandth of an ounce second old zygote (with, might I add, no capacity for thought, self awareness, reason, nor the ability to live without using a woman's body as life support). That is highly offensive at the very least... misogynistic at it's worse... and a severely flawed tactic.

No comments: